I like to think that when Valentine's Day rolls round I'm nonchalant and dismissive of it. I dread that as a singleton I'll be diluting a tub of Ben and Jerry's with my salty tears of infinite loneliness. The reality this year as with the years that proceeded it I was okay. There were moments of weakness. On the Jubilee line a couple took canoodling to a level akin to soft porn and I felt a bit sick. But that's how I always feel when I'm treated to an impromptu sex show. I also had a mini fan-girl 'squee' over a few movies and manga moments. Yeah manga. I wanted to do a count down of my favourite 'Aww' moments in film but I have loads. I wanted to do a countdown of my favourite love songs but again they were too numerous.
But I will give a shout out to my favourite fictional couples in anime and manga, and I would do my top ten fictional couples in film but I can't be bothered. Too many films. Too little time. These aren't in any order, they are a matter of opinion AND they aren't really going to be explained that well. Enjoy! Spoilers!
Anime and Manga
- Fuu and Mugen (Samurai Champloo)- These two don't actually get together but there's a lot of tension but they care enough about each other to risk dying to save one another. Romantic, innit?
- Isaac and Miria (Baccano) - They're batshit, they commit harmless and bizarre crimes together and they are besotted with one another, what's not to like?
- Sawako (Sadako) and Shota (Kimi Ni Todoke)- She has a lonely life, constantly misunderstood and shunted by her bastard classmates. She's a sweetheart and he's smart enough to realise it.
- Ashitaka and San (Princess Mononoke) epic and sweeping romance against the odds. That type of thing. Helped by a perfect soundtrack.
- Yaya Higuchi and Moriyama (Othello manga)- She has a pretty rough ride most of which she has to make alone. Despite the very unusual and difficult situation, he sticks by her as a friend and later as a lover.
So there we have it. The first Anime/Manga centric blog post for a long time. Happy (no-longer) Valentines Day.
And here is a romantic piece of 'artwork' I've dragged up from the archives.